Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Feral Pigs and Tomatoes

There are ecosystems when they are right - plants, with animals, water, sun and soil -  mostly interacting in a “positive” manner, following slowly a predetermined but ever changing scheme.  And then there are ecosystems when they are wrong - with plants and animals that are not native, and a climate that is becoming atypical. 
It seems from what I hear and see, Hawaii is the latter.  Most of what you see, green and blooming, flying and crawling is new here, relatively, within the past century or so.  They are thriving, but destructively to the flora and fauna that was introduced over the past millennia, and therefore more native.  Much of this, created by the hand of humans, is way out of hand.  People brought things that they thought would be useful and things that were familiar.  I guess I am doing that as well, very carefully.  I hope at least in my case the lesson is learned.

So I have planted some tomatoes, zinnias, and sunflowers.  They sell the seeds here so I assume they are not prohibited.  I am growing them in pots, so I can keep a watchful eye on them.  Gardening can be productive but it is not easy.  When it does rain, plants can be swamped.  When the wind blows, they can take a pounding.  I will try to nurture them.

There are fruits that grow wild and weedy, like the guava.  It is invasive, I believe, and is the main food for the feral pigs.  They do a good job of spreading the seeds.  I’ve eaten a few myself.  Am I a feral "pig?"

And there are orchids, lovely, growing solitary and in small clusters.  A clump of them grow right outside my front door.  They are a marvel.

Next time, assessing my environmental impact.


No comments:

Post a Comment