Sunday, February 27, 2011


 In some parts, when you finish a construction
Scot and Trevor working above with the liner.
project there is a topping-off ceremony, a celebration of work well done, and at least vertically complete.
This day we topped-off the yurt.  Yeah!
The roof required three steps:  A cloth liner, a layer of insulation, and the durable fabric roof that will shed the weather for the next 15 years or so.
The liner rolled out easily.

A tricky moment getting the two parts
of the roof insulation taped together.
 The roof insulation came in two pieces.  It is very lightweight and prone to lifting in even the gentlest breeze.  They should make kites out of this stuff.
Insulation in Hawaii keeps the heat out, via a reflective barrier.  The roof and walls are white and light gray, also to reflect the heat of the sun.  The roof dome has a bronze tint as well.
After the roof is in place the rest of the lattice
is screwed to the deck with "L" brackets.
 The roof fabric was a challenge to maneuver because it was so heavy.  It starts at the top through the opening.  It took five people to coax it into place.  At one point I thought most of the weigh was balanced on my head as we pushed it up the ladder.  Skillfully, it slowly rolled into place with only a little bit of adjusting.
Trevor on the scaffolding crocheting
the wall and roof together.
 The roof connects to the upper wall with a series of cord loops and grommets. One connects to the next in a crocheting like process.
Because the yurt is on a slope, much of the wall installation required ladders and scaffolding.
Watch your step.  (No humans were harmed in  the building of this yurt).
Sarah's homemade peanut butter cookies!  Yummy.
 As part of the topping-off festivities, Sarah made peanut butter cookies.  They were still warm from the oven.  I think this should be a yurt raising tradition.
We toasted with cool cans of ice tea.
OK, back to work!
Not the Pantheon, but the yurt too has an oculus,
a big eye towards the heavens.  I am looking forward
to sleeping under the moon and stars.

 Before the rains came we buttoned-up the roof by putting the dome in place.  Tossing it like a Frisbee was discussed but then we relented and gently pulled it up with a rope.  A few clips and it was in place.  I got the dome-lifter, which raises the bubble about 8 inches, allowing air to move via convection through the windows and doors and out the top, again keeping the inside cooler.
Scot and I standing in the front door.  It has been an important event for the both of us, a brotherly reunion in the making.  Hopefully now with the yurt in place, we will be spending more time together.

A beautiful end to a great day.
Red sky at night yurters delight!


  1. Are you now taking reservations? All room(s) with a view.......

  2. Amazing, beautiful success. Congrats.

  3. Good job fellas! Now we can call on you for future yurt raisings, right? ;) Glad to see it up, I'll be seeing you soon.

    Melissa Fletcher
    Yurts of Hawaii